African Scientists Directory
The African Scientists Directory was launched less than a year ago, and since then, has been widely used to identify scientists (across natural and human/social sciences) to participate in research projects, act as external examiners, review research papers/other publications, identify potential authors for invited papers, present during events, and more. The directory is managed and maintained by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) and is constantly updated to enhance the functionality of the directory, and currently, all content (including the profile submission form and the profiles themselves) can be translated to selected languages, including Arabic, basic Chinese, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Sesotho, Shona, Somali, Spanish, Sudanese, Swahili, Xhosa, and Zulu. Scientists are also welcome to submit their details in their native language.
Registering your scientific profile
This can be done in a few easy steps:
- Register by entering your information at https://africanscientists.africa/register-2/ (once-off process).
- Check your email Inbox/Junk folder – please verify your email.
- Then Login and go to Submit. Complete the online form up to the end and submit.
Keeping your profile current
Each and every profile submitted is reviewed, proofread and edited where needed, and information verified before being published. Please help keep the directory current by visiting your profile and updating the information where required. If you spot outdated data, you are most welcome to notify us: login and then click on the button for “Flag Listing”. To update your data:
- Login at https://africanscientists.africa/log-in/ using your Username and Password. If you have lost your password, you can reset it by clicking here.
- While logged in, Search for your profile.
- Once you have found your profile, click on your surname to open the expanded view for your profile.
- Click on Edit. Then update your details. Click on Complete Listing once done.
ASD in a Nutshell
Please continue to help grow this directory by inviting other scientists to also join. The current status of the directory, in a nutshell:
- 4,187 individuals globally subscribe to the directory, and 1,459 African scientist profiles were reviewed and successfully published this far. 93 new profiles are pending review.
- The profiles of scientists indicate that the majority (486) are aged between 41-50:
- The vast majority hold PhDs (817), of which 658 are Professors:
- The majority of scientists with profiles are from Southern Africa, and then from West Africa:
- Scientists from 39 African countries are registered on the directory, with the top countries as follows:
- Selected disciplines and the number of scientists per discipline can be accessed here. Below is a summary according to broad areas:
- Life Sciences & Biomedicine (866 scientists)
- Technology (396)
- Social Sciences (387)
- Physical Sciences (378)
- Arts & Humanities (90)
Access to the directory
Professional information is available as open access for all interested parties. Use Advanced Search to conduct targeted searches and to combine search criteria.
For further information or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the African Scientists Directory team.